Ten days ago, I lost a dear friend. Today was the funeral service. And it was hard – DAMN hard. I’m going to tell you a few things about my friend Doug.
- When we met over 10 years ago and became friends, he questioned whether or not we would stay friends. He said all of his friends have disappointed him at some point and it was just a fact of life. I happily proved him wrong year after year and he realized that I was just going to stick around.
- He was good for my self esteem. You see, Doug was about 20 years older than I was. This confused others, but neither of us cared. He was a friend and friendships are ageless. We shared many long talks and he often gave good advice. If it was bad advice, I’d tell him because I knew I could. 🙂 So, many times, he boosted my confidence saying things like .. “if I was 20 years younger, I’d be asking you out on dates everyday.” (when i was moaning about not finding a good partner) “if I could afford you to pay you what you were worth, i’d hire you in a heartbeat.” (when i was job hunting)
- He knew how to make me laugh. Knowing that he was 20 years older than I was, he would pretend to be the creepy guy, but was never able to pull it off. He’d answer the phone “Linda’s Massage Parlour – we never rub you the wrong way.” And things of the sort.
- We appreciated each other. And would tell each other.
- He lived a life that I admired. He was fiercely in love with his wife on a daily basis. He ran a good business. He hired good people. He admitted his shortcomings. He invested in people he cared about. He was often optimistic. He was ever curious. He loved his inner child.
Sadly, Doug was also sick and his life was cut short. It sucks for him. It sucks for everyone around him. He was a gem.
So, with that, I leave you with two words: Live Audaciously.
Forget the saying of “Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.” I say, keep your friends close and drop your enemies. They’re dead weight on your brazen path in life. Shed those negative people in your life, like they’re the last 5lbs you wanted to lose. And love the good people in your life passionately.